I love Halloween! I love everything about it. I love the costumes, zombies, spiders and spiderwebs, candy corn, CANDY, trick or treating, you get the picture here. You name it and I will love it! Last year for some strange reason I didn’t do much for the holiday. But this year baby, it’s on and poppin’ (as my 12 year old would say)!
My son (#2 as I affectionately call him) decided that THIS is the year that we will host a Halloween party. The last time I threw a Halloween party he was 1 so that was what, 11 years ago. YIKES! There is so much to do (decorations, costumes, invitations, menu, games, prizes) so where do I begin? In my humble opinion, a party just ain’t (yes, I just said ain’t) a party without some good drinks. Seeing that this is going to be an adult/child friendly party, I need to come up with drinks that both groups will enjoy. Thanks to the internet and my dear friend Pintrest we were able to score some real winners that we will be serving on this Hallow’s Eve.
Frog in a Blender
To make this drink you need:
2 – 3 oz packages of lime flavored
1 – 3 oz package of cherry flavored gelatin
1 – 3 oz package of orange flavored gelatin
3 – 12 oz cans/bottles of lemon-lime soda,
1 – 10 oz jar red maraschino cherries, drained and stemmed
rubber frogs for garnish (optional)
- Prepare each package of gelatin according to the package directions, only adding the boiling water as directed; stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Do not add any additional water.
- Place the gelatin into individual containers, cover and chill for at least 2 hours or until it sets.
- Cut the gelatin into 1/2-inch cubes. Place about 1/3 of each flavor of gelatin into the blender. Add one can/bottle of lemon-lime soda.
- Cover and pulse 2 or 3 times or until the gelatin is broken up into smaller pieces. Stir in 1/3 of the cherries. Pour into serving glasses.
- Garnish with rubber frogs
*To make this an adult cocktail, you can add vodka to the mixture
To make this boo-licious punch you will need:
2 cups (1 pint) whipping cream or half-and-half
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 – 46 oz. can 100% berry or apple juice
1 – 12 oz. can frozen grape juice concentrate, thawed
1 – 2 liter bottle of lemon-lime soda, chilled
black decorating gel
- Stir together the whipping cream/half-and-half, sugar and vanilla until the sugar is dissolved. Place silicone ghost mold (found as most craft stores) in a small tray and pour the cream mixture into the molds. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for about 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- In a large punch bowl, combine the berry or apple juice, grape juice concentrate and lemon-lime soda. Remove the ghost molds from and place on a chilled waxed lined tray and add the eyes and mouth using the black gel.
- Place the ghost in the punch (use a spatula) and serve immediately.